Landlords should not...
Allow anyone other than a Gas Safe registered engineer to maintain gas installations or appliances.
The landlord and tenants’ obligations are statutory requirements and a criminal offence would occur if they were not met.
One of the most important energy saving measures you can take could save a lot more than money. Keeping your boiler serviced regularly, will not only keep your energy consumption down – it will also keep you and your family safe!
Many people think that if a boiler is working it doesn’t need any attention but this is not necessarily true. If a boiler is not serviced annually, it and the flue will gradually start to get blocked and become less efficient. The boiler will have to work harder to produce the same heat. The result is higher gas consumption and fuel bills and a greater chance of build-up of deadly carbon monoxide (CO).
Badly maintained gas appliances or damaged flues can leak CO in varying methods, causing very high chances of risk to your health.
In rented accommodation an annual inspection is compulsory, so people in rented homes are potentially safer than homeowners and their families! Regular safety checks and servicing of gas appliances mean you will be able to sleep easy in your bed, knowing your family is safe. And a gas fire or boiler operating at peak efficiency costs less to run, so you save money too.
The most concerning cases are where the boiler hasn’t been properly maintained, and there is no opportunity to point these faults out until it is too late. There have been many cases of death or serious illness of families and it could all be prevented with regular maintenance. You have an annual service on your car, it runs better, uses less fuel and, more importantly, you know it’s safe. It’s no different with your gas boiler. If it’s not maintained properly, it is also potentially a very lethal machine.
Badly installed or maintained gas appliances can cause CO faults. Legislation requires the landlord to carry out a gas safety inspection on all gas appliances at least once every 12 months. The servicing/inspecting must be carried out by a Council of Registered Gas Installers (Gas Safe engineer.
Carbon monoxide is a gas which is highly poisonous. It has no colour, smell or taste and so can be difficult to recognise. With enough air, burning domestic fuels produce carbon dioxide and water vapour in safe amounts and these products are normally taken away by a chimney or flue. However, if there is too little air and the air vent, chimney or flue is blocked, any carbon monoxide produced cannot escape. Look out for stains, soot or discolouration around a gas fire. There should not be a strange unusual smell when a gas appliance is on. The flame on a gas fire or heater should not burn yellow or orange.